Before you describe the cartoon:
- Keep in mind that a cartoon is a visual text!
- Therefore the picture and the text are equally important!
- Look at the cartoon carefully!
- Make sure you understand the situation and context of the cartoon.
Ask yourself some questions before you describe the cartoon:
- What would be normal in the situation?
- What is strange or unexpected and why?
- Does the text clash with the picture?
- Is there exaggeration, irony?
- Are there puns (plays on words), or symbols?
- Why is it funny? (If it´s not funny you didn´t understand the joke, or the joke was lame)
- do I get the joke?
The message of the cartoon:
- If you got the joke you´ll get the message. The message can be political, or just funny, or thougt-provoking in some sense.
When you write a description of a cartoon:
- remember that for describing a cartoon you will mostly need the present progressive.
- comment on the cartoon use expressions such as: “In my opinion the cartoonist wants to express…”